Note: The information below is for those interested in participating in the class entering 2016. To be considered for fall of 2016, applications are due by October 16th.
Each year, Members of Congress have the privilege of recommending a select group of individuals for admission to the U.S. Service Academies. Competition for the limited number of available appointments is very strong. The U.S. Service Academies recommend that high school students interested in applying for an appointment should contact the Academy of their choice in the spring of their junior year and apply for a congressional nomination during their senior year. You can find websites for each academy below.
To objectively select the most qualified nominees for each vacancy, I have appointed a Service Academy Nomination Advisory Board, which consists of residents from the 9th District. The Board meets once a year to interview and nominate students for appointments to the various U.S. Service Academies.
Nominees are chosen based on personal merit. Criteria considered include evidence of character, leadership, academic excellence, physical aptitude, and extracurricular activities. Applicants should be residents of Indiana's Ninth Congressional District and between the ages of 17 and 22.
If you're interested in attending one of our service academies, please return the application found below, along with all the following items, no later than October 16th of your senior year (or of the nominating year if already a high school graduate):
- Completed application form (download by clicking here)
- Brief letter from you stating why you want to attend academy
- Minimum of 3 letters required from the following sources:
- High School Counselor or Principal
- High School Teacher
- Supervisor of an extra-curricular activity in or outside school
- Current photograph (good snap shot is sufficient)
- List of extra-curricular activities stating any offices held in or outside school
- Official Transcript of grades through junior year
- Official Rank in class to include total number in class
- SAT and/or ACT scores. To automatically have your scores sent to our office, please use the test reporting codes 1308 (SAT) and 7405 (ACT).
Failure to complete these requirements by October 16th (with the possible exception of test scores) will disqualify you from further consideration. Please be sure you are a current and legal resident of the 9th Congressional District of Indiana or your application will be invalid with this office.
|RETURN ALL INFO TO:|| |
CONGRESSMAN TODD YOUNG
Websites for United States Service Academies
- Academy Application (12/04/1312:36 PMET )